That’s why this blog is about the deaths and long-term effects caused by Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! is the national campaign to reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by carbon monoxide. Since 2008, the campaign has encouraged people to install carbon monoxide alarms in their homes.

http://www.co-bealarmed.co.uk/

I came across the above site from the www.londonlovesbusiness.com newsletter and wanted to add my support for their work.

The first two videos are from YouTube and are examples of carbon monoxide poisoning outside the home.  I’ve also added extracts from:

  • These figures are from the ‘Cross Government Group on Gas Safety and Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness’ annual report 2016/17
  • HSE Safety bulletin on flues in voids

The third video is of a mother whose son died in their home.

 

image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM54JgF7RgY

 

Here are some pretty worrying figures to do with carbon monoxide poisoning:

HSENI Public Health Agency and local authorities (Health and Safety Executive Northern Ireland)

  • Of the 6,509 homes visited, 5,368 were identified as having a CO producing appliance located in the house or adjoining garage.
  • Approximately 41% of homes did not have a CO detector
  • 49% of people over 65 did not have a CO detector.
  • 34% of families with children under 5 did not have a CO detector.

Despite widespread publicity, it has been reported that in Wales and England approximately 30 people die each year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. In addition, there are on average more than 200 non-fatal cases that require hospitalisation.

These figures are from the ‘Cross Government Group on Gas Safety and Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness’ annual report 2016/17

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/cross-government-group-1617.pdf

 

There are signs that you can look out for which indicate incomplete combustion is occurring and may result in the production of CO:

  • Yellow or orange rather than blue flames (except fuel effect fires or flueless appliances which display this colour flame)
  • Soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • Increased condensation inside windows.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

 

image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq8btUiST_w

 

Gas boilers – flues in voids

(Updated 20 May 2013)

Background:

The introduction of fan-flued gas appliances in the mid 1990s allowed gas central heating boilers to be installed away from external walls. This meant that builders could design new-build and refurbishment properties with boilers being installed on internal walls to make better use of the available space. The flues to these boilers were, in some cases, routed through voids in the ceiling space (and through stud walls) between properties above.

This practice became progressively more popular from 2000 onwards and the vast majority of affected systems are thought to be located in new build flats and apartments completed since 2000. It is however possible that other types of home may have similar central heating systems installed.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/fluesinvoids.htm

 

How can I tell if I’m at risk?

Carbon monoxide is easily absorbed into the bloodstream by breathing it in.  Anyone can be affected by carbon monoxide poisoning.  The symptoms can look like everyday illnesses: headaches, dizziness, feeling sick and tiredness.

Do not ignore these symptoms if:

  • Other people in the same building have similar problems
  • You’ve recently moved into the building
  • You’ve had a new appliance fitted e.g. boiler, log burner or a cooker
  • You’ve had work carried out that might affect ventilation e.g. double glazing
  • You feel better when out of the building
  • You’ve recently switched the heating on

http://gov.wales/topics/health/protection/environmental/carbon/?lang=en

 

You may also want to listen to Stacey Rodgers’ story, but be warned,

this is not a happy story.

 

image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDRpfJnN1Qk

 

The Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign is run by Energy UK on behalf of British Gas, EDF Energy, E.ON, npower, Scottish Power and SSE, in partnership with the Dominic Rodgers Trust. It is supported by a wide range of charities and other organisations.

 

Now:

  1. Do you and all your family members have a working smoke alarm system in your homes?
  1. Do you and all your family members have your Boiler and gas appliances checked every year?
  1. Do you and all your family members have CO (Carbon Monoxide) detectors in your homes?
  1. Take another look at http://www.co-bealarmed.co.uk/
  1. And the next time you have the honour of carting all your offspring’s stuff down to their Uni. accommodation for them, here’s something else you need to check for.

Save

Leave a Comment